Thursday, October 30, 2008

Hometown Feel and Family History

When I was little I thought my Mom was morbid for taking pics of our dead relatives grave stones. She always said it was for Family History records, but I still didn’t get it. Now that I’m older and both of my Dad’s parents are buried here in SD, I found myself wanting to take pics of their grave stones too. This morning, at my request, Grandma D and I went to both local cemeteries where my relatives are buried. I took pics of my Grandpa H & Grandma B’s graves, and also my great-grandparents graves. Because my Grandma B died when I was only 2, I don’t remember her and have never really felt close to her. It was strange though… seeing her grave today and wondering how she would feel about her granddaughter moving cross country from the only home she has ever known, it seemed like I was closer to her. Hearing Grandma D (who is actually my Step-Grandma) talk about their childhood and the relatives that are still around has made me feel more a part of the secluded life here in Mobridge.
After visiting the Mound City cemetery Grandma D treated me to lunch at Calico’s where we enjoyed some real good German food. I tried the Cheese Button, bratwurst, creamy cucumber salad, and something called Fleiskeuchle (a beef patty wrapped in dough and deep fried). It was all very delicious! I’ve really enjoyed this time spent with Grandma, and consider it a true blessing.
on a side note – I saw another pheasant today, but it was a male this time. He had a beautiful green head and really long tail feathers.
Here is a couple pics I took today...the last one is of me and Grandma D.


2 comments:

Purring Piggy said...

When I was 12 my grandparents took me to Germany to visit their relatives they left behind. We visited a TON of graveyards, which were really cool compared to US ones. Each grave was like a raised bed with a border around it. Nearly all were landscaped and covered in beautiful living plants and flowers. Even the grave stones were beautiful, some with special shapes or designs. One that stood out was a huge stone cut like a mountain that had white stone mixed into it so it looked like a snow capped mountain. The man died while mountain climbing, which was his passion in life.

My grandparents and family all fussed over the graves and then we all stood together and took a picture with us all in front of it. I didn't get it at the time, but now I see the great love and respect they were showing their relatives, even after their lives were over. It was certainly a different culture from the US.

NashvilleanByChoice said...

The graves you described sound really neat. they seem to really celebrate the persons life. I really like the idea of a grave being a raised bed for living flowers and plants. Thanks for sharing!