Sunday, September 27, 2009

Country-isms

During my time here in Tennesee I have heard many sayings that I didn't quite understand (and some I still don't fully understand) but that are quite humorous.... so I thought I would share some of the most common ones. Thanks to my coworkers (John, Tracey, and Pat) I have compiled quite a list:
  • Smells so bad it could knock a maggot off a gut wagon.
  • As useless as tits on a boar hog.
  • That boy’s two bricks shy of a full load.
  • Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.
  • They’re as bright as a burned out light bulb.
  • I think he’s one fry short of a Happy Meal
  • Slower than molasses in January
  • Grandma’s slow so what’s your excuse?
  • He ain’t the sharpest knife in the drawer, so we call him spoon
  • He just made himself look like the north-end of a south-bound donkey
  • Don’t mind the mule being blind, just load the wagon
  • Blind man runnin’ for his life will never see it
  • Ain’t seen hide nor hair of 'em
  • As many as Carter’s got liver pills
  • If you run with turkeys you’ll never fly with the eagles.
  • If you lay with dogs you’re gonna get fleas
  • As busy as a one arm paper hanger
  • You’re the cats pajamas
  • As fine as frog hair
  • Goin’ to hell in a handbasket
  • Happy as a coon in a rock house
  • As easy as catchin’ fish in a barrel
  • Happy as a cat in the scratchin’s
  • Don’t want to hear the labor pains, just show me the baby
  • I’m ready, if I don’t get to go
  • Full as a tick

4 comments:

Angela said...

Two of my favorites are 'she could talk a dog off a meat wagon' and 'he could get Sherman's march reduced to trespassing'.

Purring Piggy said...

I guess those types of things are regional...I never thought about it much! Thanks for sharing these. I knew a few from living in the Northeast...#7, 13, and 20.

Anonymous said...

haha those are great! the funny thing is i've actually heard several of them growing up =P thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

sorry that was me jacee on that last comment =P