Wednesday, February 11, 2009

another goal - finish a quilt

I have this quilt which I bought materials for several years back. I started the quilt, only getting to the point of finishing the backing and the front base material. The original plan was to applique shapes of hearts and hands all over the front, with each set of hands representing some of my dearest friends. As time went by, I realized that some of my 'dearest friends' weren't really as close as they had been so I adjusted my plan. The second idea was to change the shapes to butterflies and have a large floral applique in the center of the quilt. Finally I decided that was more complicated than I wanted, and a little more frilly than was really me. I started appliqueing flowers of different colors with individual flower petals, before I left WA. Once I got settled in here in TN I realized that I had left some of my fabric at my parents house in my sewing box (which there wasn't room for in my car). A few weeks ago BarlowGirl and I went to a local fabric store, and I bought some replacements. They aren't exactly what I had in mind, but they are close. Below you can see how far I am, and what the other flower colors will be.




2 comments:

Angela said...

Eek! Fabric! :D I love quilting, I'm nearly finished with my first blanket now. I love the fabrics you chose, too. Have you found appliqueing to be difficult? I haven't tried it yet.

NashvilleanByChoice said...

It hasn't been too difficult, however, I use the term 'applique' loosely. If I do another quilt, and am more particular I would probably use the double-sided interfacing material to help stick the pieces in place first before stitching around them. They tend to slide around a bit. :)