Wednesday, January 21, 2009

some thoughts from TN...

On the way home from work this evening I was thinking about all the things I've seen and noticed since I've been here in TN, and got the idea that maybe I should share them with you.

Some of the differences I've noticed while I've been here have been slight, like the fact a shopping center in WA probably wouldn't ever be called "Colonial Park". As was expected, there are many stores and restaurants here in TN that aren't in WA. One of my new favorites is the local Super Target. Of course I was a Target-lover in WA, but now I've discovered something even better! I think maybe its because its the closest thing we have here to Fred Meyer (besides WalMart) that I feel at home shopping there. Most of the restaurants are different and I still haven't even made a dent in all the places I've never eaten. Some of the ones I have tried include Sonic, Chili's, Captain D's, Famous Dave's, Fizoli's (inexpensive somewhat fast-Italian food) and Ruby Tuesday. As far as Sonic goes - I can now understand why my southern friends who have been transplanted to WA crave Sonic. I have fallen in love with their onion rings and shakes. My intention is to try a wide variety of menu items but I keep going back to the onion rings. Captain D's is very similar to Skippers with the exception of offering Fried Okra as a sidedish, and every meal comes with a couple Hushpuppies. When I went there for lunch with one of my new co-workers, she was shocked I didn't know what a hushpuppy was, and that I don't remember ever eating one. So far I think Famous Dave's has been my favorite sit-down place to eat. They have some delicious BBQ burgers, cooked with special seasonings and different kinds of BBQ sauce slathered on them. They have like 6 different kinds of BBQ sauce at the table so you can dip your fries in some or coat your baked potato with one. There are a few familiar places to eat too, like Jack in the Box (which I was afraid they wouldn't have here), Red Robin, and places like Cheesecake Factory and Panera. Its nice to have some familiar things. :)

3 comments:

Mintclartha said...

Love this post-we have conversations about stuff in WA that's different all the time. And now you love Sonic-just wait until summer when you start going there every day during happy hour for slushes. How's work going?

Anonymous said...

No fair I love Fizoli's!! My family always goes to eat there when we are visiting Ohio. Their breadsticks are to die for. :)

NashvilleanByChoice said...

Ladybug - I agree, their breadsticks are amazing! the whole meal was very good too. :)