Saturday, January 2, 2010

2009 Survey...

Thanks the the HeadMistress, Zookeeper over at The Common Room I found this survey for the New Year, and thought it would be a good way to summarize 2009. It has some thought provoking questions, unlike most surveys I've found... I hope you enjoy:

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never before?
walked under/in a waterfall, played in the Atlantic Ocean, and slept in my car to name a few.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions and will you make more for 2010?
not all of them - but I continue to make goals each year, otherwise I lack direction.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth or get pregnant?
a couple close friends gave birth (one being the Equuschick at the Common Room) and a couple other friends got pregnant (including my dear friend BarlowGirl).

4. Did anyone close to you get married?
yes. HeadGirl over at The Common Room.

5. Did anyone close to you die?
my friend Jesica passed away on 10.9.09 of Ovarian Cancer. I didn't know her for long, but she was a shining spirit and the time I did get to spend with her is forever precious to me.

6. Travel?
I travelled to West Virginia a couple times, to Indiana, to the Great Smokey Mountains, to Savannah, Georgia and across the country.

7. Did you move anywhere?
moved from Nashville, TN back to my home state of Washington.

8. What was the best month?
I can't pick just one - April (Great Smoky Mt trip and my sailor brother visited), July (my family visited), August (I got to see the ocean with friends), and December (holidays with my whole family).

9. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
financial freedom.

10. What date(s) from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I don't really remember dates - I remember experiences.

11. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
finding true contentment in my singleness.

12. What was your biggest failure?
I wish I had done more gardening-focused activities while I was in TN.

13. Did you suffer illness or injury?
nothing major...

14. What was the best thing you bought?
Nothing really sticks out... unless I'm counting the airplane ticket I bought to visit home in May...

15. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I have to say that I'm pretty proud of my Sailor brother's behavior over the last year, for making the commitment to join the Navy and sticking to it. I think in the long run it will be a good experience for him, and has already helped him mature some.

16. Whose behavior made you appalled and/or depressed?
I don't really like to dwell on those type of things... however, I've been pretty appalled by the behavior of a certain friend's sister-in-law.

17. Where did most of your money go?
food, cell phone bills, and travelling.

18. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
visiting places I hadn't been to before... ok. really? visiting the ocean at Tybee Island. I love the ocean what can I say?! :)

19. What song will always remind you of 2009?
any of the following: 'The Climb' by Miley Cyrus, 'I Got A Feeling' by The Black Eyed Peas, or 'That's Not My Name' by the Ting Tings.

20. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? I would say, its about the same level of happiness.
ii. richer or poorer? richer in the sense that I have had so many great experiences this year. not necessarily richer in the pocket. :)

21. What do you wish you'd done more of?
reading & keeping up with world events.

22. What do you wish you'd done less of?
eating out. I might have less pounds to shed now, and more money in my pocket.

23. How will you be spending New Years Eve/Day?
I spent New Years Eve during the day with a friend from church, assembling a going away gift for some friends moving cross-country. Then we all went to a party with our young adults group in Seattle and watched the fireworks off the Space Needle. I beat my record from last year... stayed up till almost 6 am! Then on New Years day I chilled at some other friend's house, and then played mini golf that night, and went down to the Mukilteo waterfront at midnight. Overall it was a great couple days!

24. What was an unexpected surprise?
the HeadGirl's engagement and then wedding...

25. Did you fall in love in 2009?
I have renewed my love of the Pacific Northwest... does that count? ;)

26. What was the best concert you've been to this year?
pretty much the only concert I went to was the Hope 4 Samoa benefit concert with The Katinas, Natalie Grant, Jeremy Camp, and Michael W. Smith. It was really good though!

27. What was your favorite TV program?
'Lie to Me' and 'Glee'

28. Do you dislike anyone now that you didn't dislike this time last year?
not that I can think of - there aren't many people I dislike.

29. What was the best book you read?
Through Painted Deserts bye Donald Miller (review coming soon)

30. What was your greatest musical discovery?
thanks to my friend with Night Sky Entertainment - I found an up and coming young bluegrass artist: SaraBeth & Co. she has some great vocal skills!

31. What did you want and get?
a year packed full of great memories.

32. What did you want and not get?
my Nashville friends to move to WA with me. :)

33. What was your favorite film of this year?
probably 'Yes Man'

34. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
my family was visiting from WA, and I took them on a tour around Nashville. THen we met extended family I had met before, and spent the evening with my close friends laughing and visiting and watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (w/ Depp).

35. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I honestly can't think of anything... I am really happy with 2009!

36. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2009?
color & comfort.

37. What kept you sane?
writing in my journal, and getting out into God's creation.

38. What political issue stirred you the most?
the healthcare reform bill and how politicians don't actually read what they sign.

39. Who did you miss?
when I was in Nashville - my family and church family. Now that I'm back in WA - my Nashville friends.

40. Random memories from 2009?
Micah & Gabe falling into the stream in the Smoky's, TBerry singing at the top of his lungs driving through Georgia, Emily getting excited about Tim Horton's, BarlowGirl's daughter crying when she thought my Mom was taking me away from her. Evenings on the big couch watching TV or reading with BarlowGirl and Siah,. The tears of pride in the eyes of Tasha's mom at her college graduation.

No comments: